DESIGN TECHNOLOGY FOSTERS A LOVE OF CREATIVE THINKING; EMBRACING PROBLEM SOLVING AND PRODUCING REAL SOLUTIONS OUR PUPILS LEARN HOW AND WHY THINGS WORK THROUGH A BROAD PRACTICAL AND THEORETICAL EXPERIENCE.
The Design and Technology department is housed in a purpose built workshop furnished with workbenches and vices. Equipped with an impressive array of machines and hand tools we also have sewing machines to support early textile exploration and two 3D printers driven by the iMACs. In addition a separate stand-alone Food Technology Room supports the delivery of the curriculum.
In Design and Technology (offered from Year 4) we aim to:
- Cover a broad variety of practical subjects including Woodwork, Textiles, Electronics, Food, Graphics and Computer-aided design manufacture (CAD/CAM).
- Enable pupils to design and make products suitable for a specific target audience.
- Encourage pupils to be competent and confident in conceiving, designing and producing a range of technological products of good quality.
- Teach pupils to evaluate and improve upon their own technological products and those designed by others.
- Teach pupils to work both independently and co-operatively.
- Drive innovation through practical and theoretical initiatives.