SOMETHING THAT WE ARE VERY PROUD OF AT THIS INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL IS THE OPPORTUNITIES PRESENTED TO OUR PUPILS IN THE FORM OF TRIPS, PARTICULARLY GIVEN THAT KENYA HAS SO MUCH TO OFFER.
A considerable amount of thought is put into providing trips and extra-curricular activities which are both diverse and valuable in a child’s wider development, enabling pupils to discover what Kenya and the rest of world has to offer. Upmost consideration is taken into each and every child’s safety and well-being. A comprehensive risk assessment is completed for all trips and our children are covered with both AAR and AMREF medical insurance.
Pegasus Early Years and the Lower School undertake local educational residential day trips where possible once per term. These are fantastic opportunities for our children to experience completely different environments. For example during 2016-17 trips were made to:
- The Animal Orphanage - Reception;
- Mamba Village, Giraffe Centre and Daphne Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage – Year 1;
- Karura Forest, Ocean Sole and Brown's Cheese - Year 2;
- Kamili Designs, Brown's Cheese and The Dairyland Ice cream Factory – Year 3;
- Paradise Lost and the opportunity for their first overnight stay at Sagana Outward Bounds Centre to celebrate the end of Lower School.
In the Upper School a mixture of bonding and Geographical residential field trips during 2016-17 have included:
- The Year 5 bonding trip with one overnight stay to Swara Plains and later in the year a field trip to Olepolos, Great Rift Valley;
- Naivasha and Hell's Gate National Park for a Geography residential field trip - Year 6;
- Naro Moro Case Study: Farming for a Year 7 Geography field trip;
- Mt. Kenya - Year 8 children embark on a challenging climb to the summit of Mt. Kenya as the culmination of their time and the 'trip beyond trips' celebrating their Preparatory School life. This is a gruelling five-day trip to 4985m and teaches the children about the meaning of determination and perseverance.
Additional 2016-17 trips which are not compulsory have included:
- December Ski trip – Switzerland, Italy, Austria open to children from Years 5 to 8.
- Hockey tour to the UK open to children from Years 7 and 8. Here we are hosted and compete against other IAPS schools and potential Secondary Schools for our children.
- The first MAD (Music, Art and Drama) Trip to New York, New York, USA open to children from Years 6 to 8. It is the aim this trip will be tri-annual.
- The first High Altitude Training trip to Iten, Kenya in April 2017 to support sports training in particular cross country running. This trip was open to talented and recreational runners from Year 4 to Year 8 keen to improve their sporting stamina. It is the aim this trip will be annual.
Our school trips are carefully planned and may relate to a curriculum or project based theme as well as year group bonding or outward bound to support team-building activities. It is our aim to enhance our pupil’s school experience by providing new and challenging opportunities to enable them to grow and develop into confident young people who are not frightened or intimidated about stepping out into the world.